Berbatov might leave in January-Meulensteen

barbatovRene Meulensteen says Dimitar Berbatov is “fully committed” to Fulham – but doubts that he will stay in January.

Last week, Berbatov’s agent made confirmations that his client is “not happy” at Craven Cottage and is seeking a move in the January transfer window.

However, the Bulgarian delivered an excellent performance in Sunday’s 2-0 home victory over Aston Villa, which ended a run of six straight Premier League defeats, teeing up Steve Sidwell for a well-taken opener before coolly dispatching a penalty he had helped win.

It all added up to a first three points for new Cottagers boss Meulensteen, who praised the 32-year-old Berbatov’s contribution.

Meulensteen said: “I think the word is focus. Anyone who has a good focus will know what the job is in hand, and you focus on the performance.

“He makes a difference. I thought he was excellent [in the 2-1 loss to Tottenham] on Wednesday as well, and today again you saw what he was capable of doing.

“I just had a good chat with him, he’s not a stranger to me, we know what games we have coming up all the way to January, and he’s fully committed to Fulham and the games we’ve got ahead of us.

“I’m just focusing on the games up until January.

“I couldn’t be more delighted with his performance, it shows that he cares.

“The most important thing is that the players should be delighted with themselves.”

Asked about Berbatov’s likely prospects once the January transfer window opens, Meulensteen said: “I can’t, couldn’t, wouldn’t and don’t want to answer that. It’s my decision to do that with the people who are relevant to discuss these things.”

-Skysports.com-

Adeyemi Adesanya

Sports Business Consultant and Football Intermediary; Risk Management & Due Diligence Consultant; Freelance Football writer & Pundit on Radio & TV and Man.Utd Fan

http://www.halftimeng.com

Leave a Reply